Forum > Ft. Indiantown Gap, PA

The Gap why is it still going

(1/3) > >>

battlebaby4:
I thought I'd ask this question here. The 99th did this as our 1st event 10 years ago. We at first were impressed with the base, old buildings, the atmosphere ect.
 The battles were poor, the bus ride was stupid. Try fitting on a seat made for kids in full 1928 haversack and great coats, not fun at all. As always 3 different battles. Paratrooper battle,( why do paratroopers always get thier own battles) armor battle and we are part of the who cares battle for Infantry. We could not work with the tanks but we saw them in the Valley. With that it was the last time we went. The trip for Erie to Annville wasn't worth it.
 Over the years I run into a ton of reenactors that gave up on the Gap or go cause they have to. Am I the only one who hears this?
 Why as reenactors do we keep going to the same broken events year after year only to complain about them and never try or made something different.
 Here is another one. Some reenactors up here went to Reading Airshow. While talking to people, he was told the show would be better if the reenactors didn't show up anymore. With that this unit will not be returning to Reading. We did Reading once and haven't been back yet.
 Have any of you run across this latly ==

Pat

Sturmkatze:
It's because reenactors wish to play and don't give a tinker's damn about standards or how they are treated by event hosts. If I go to an event that they're making money off of, I DAMN-WELL better not be getting charged to attend.

The Gap (or FIG, whichever you call it) is famous for pissing all over it's participants. I haven't been since 1999... and whilst part of that I lived in Cali, I now live an hour away; I still AIN'T goin' -- I am not on the "good" list of Dave "Baby Doc" Shaw and I don't think he wants people like me there. Since he assimilated the Federation that's about the only gig they do. Oh well. Plenty of new, better WWII Orgs out there.
All my opinion! Marsh  0000

Antonescu:
Oh where to begin! Okay here we go:

1) The battle sucks since the AB just bulldoze through with no hit taking (of course I've seen that on the Axis side also from some units).

2) When I first went over 5 years ago the units that attended were good. Now it seems there are units that are out there that only attend the GAP. Thus authenticity is really down and the units that are great are not that numerous anymore.

3) The fee is outrageous for this event. Flea market has sort of shrunk and is now closed earlier than before. This is the only thing there that makes it worth going or at least it used to be. On top of it you have to pay extra for a meal plan and other things.

4) Atmosphere has changed it seems. When I went it was to recreate an atmosphere and to be with friends. It seems that a units are gearing to a more "party" attitude than before . I'm not saying do alcohol because I drank and had a good time. It's the ones who do not know how to drink responsibly and have a good time that kill it.

5) The same people are always in control so no changes. An event doesn't get better if nothing changes but only worst and yes some say its how you make it but those in charge have a big role in how the event is to most people on the surface.

6) Units that attend are also bothersome. The GAP does not ban units. There are units that attend that have been banned for bad behavior at other events but allowed to attend. I know the Federation investigated one unit due to being contacted as well as several others but nothing was done to our knowledge. There are enough units that stopped going that might come back if they would take a stand against the bad units out there.

7) Treated as money not as an reenactor. So will spend my money at events that are worth going to. Just go up on Saturday as part of the public and visit the flea market since that is what I do now. It's free and no headaches!

thompsongunner06:
Thank you guys for letting us rant here. I did on another "proboard" and was banned. Here goes:

All statements posted above!!
Market use to be even in the parking lot with some huge vans of stuff,Not any more!
Someone is making a lot of money for a terrible event. No changes ever.

Antonescu:

--- Quote from: thompsongunner06 on December 21, 2008, 08:56:58 AM ---Thank you guys for letting us rant here. I did on another "proboard" and was banned. Here goes:

All statements posted above!!
Market use to be even in the parking lot with some huge vans of stuff,Not any more!
Someone is making a lot of money for a terrible event. No changes ever.

--- End quote ---

The whole point of a forum is to let people know what you think in a civil manner. Just because it's negative doesn't mean it shouldn't be posted. I know the other "Proboard" you are talking about because a lot of stuff about FIG does get deleted. Pass this forum along to others down South and get it going. Just remember to keep it civil though!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version