This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: Soviet Tropical Cap  (Read 15358 times)

Offline SovietAirborne

• Plebe
    • Soviet Airborne
Soviet Tropical Cap
« on: February 15, 2007, 10:23:08 PM »
Hello all! I would like to ask a favor to anyone that can help me. I am looking for a photo of the Soviet Tropical Cap (i.e., "Panamka", "Afghanka", Boonie Hat) for use on my site. The cap needs to be the pre-Soviet-Afghan War era cap from WW2-1960's. I have the Afghan War era cap already on my site. This photo would be used for comparison. I have a photo in a book with one of these early caps but unfortunately, my scanner is in storage and I am unable to retrieve it. I would appreciate any help on this and please send me a name that I can include in the captions. Thanks!

Offline ranger0283

• Boot
    • Recce PLN 10 Para (V) LHA
Re: Soviet Tropical Cap
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 10:20:39 PM »
Hey Ray, Sandy here, OC of Recce PLN 10 Para. Let me dig and see what I may be able to find in my books. My scanner is up and running so I may be able to hook you up. What kind of photo do you want, one in use, or one on display? As a side note, Trident is selling originals here is the info AFGHANCAP.Caps available in the following sizes.55,56,59,60.$18.00

link is http://www.tridentmilitary.com/SovietUniforms.htm

Sandy
"It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required."

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

Sir Winston Churchill

Offline SovietAirborne

• Plebe
    • Soviet Airborne
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 04:46:47 PM »
I need a photo for my site to compare the recent tropical "Afghanka" cap used during the Soviet-Afghan War to the earlier tropical "Panamka" cap that the "Afghanka" was derived from. I have the Afghanka on my site already but I need a photo of the earlier hat, the "Panamka" or "Panama" hat. Trident is selling the hat that I have on my site already (http://www.sovietairborne.com/Equipment.html). There is a photo of one in "KGB & Soviet State Security Uniforms & Militaria 1917-91 In Color Photographs" by Laszlo. I forgot what page its on though. Again, my scanner is out of reach and I can't get that photo right now. I do appreciate the help.

Offline ranger0283

• Boot
    • Recce PLN 10 Para (V) LHA
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 09:17:10 AM »
Ray, Does this help? I cannot find my reference material but found this on the net.
Sandy

"It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required."

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

Sir Winston Churchill

Offline bmac

• Boot
  • Quit Looking at me like that!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 06:56:44 PM »
Ray,
Come to my hizzous on Sunday and you can use my scanner.  Then you can cook me dinner and take me to a movie. I don't think the wife will mind. ;-)
Bmac

Offline SovietAirborne

• Plebe
    • Soviet Airborne
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 07:43:12 PM »
LOL ;D I'll see you on Sunday!

Offline SovietAirborne

• Plebe
    • Soviet Airborne
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 12:42:53 AM »

Offline Makarov

• Boot
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 01:24:20 AM »
Just thought I'd add some additional info and an illustration from a book in my library, Soviet Military Uniforms and Insignia 1918-1958 by O.V. Kharitonov

USSR P.C.D. Order No. 61 of March 10, 1938, (edited):

"A cotton panama hat was authorized for wear, along with a steel helmet, for personnel of troops and institutions of the Middle Asia, North Caucasas and Transcaucasus Military Districts and for units located in the Crimea.

The panama hat was made of light cotton khaki fabric, with broad brim semi-rigid sloping stitched brims (7 cm wide). The crown of the hat was made up of four wedges with twelve openings, three in each wedge. A red star diameter 7.5 cm was sewn onto the front of the crown. The panama hat had a red lining and a chin strap made of the khaki material.

Panama hats for motor/armour troops were made of steel-coloured material."

Nikto ne zabyt, nichto ne zabyto!
Glory to the Worker's and Peasant's Red Army!