This site is Gunny Approved

Author Topic: The Pyrates Way, mates  (Read 27459 times)

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
Re: The Pyrates Way, mates
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 11:50:57 AM »
no, but they were amusing and I'm just poking the toad... long, working weekend and troubles this AM  :O>@ C'est La Vie!
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline Raevon

• Plebe
    • The Ladies of Reenacting
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 03:49:06 PM »
no, but they were amusing and I'm just poking the toad... long, working weekend and troubles this AM  :O>@ C'est La Vie!

I understand.  They were quite entertaining but some others are more amusing on there. 
If you had fought like a man, you need not be hanged like a dog.

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 05:16:56 PM »
Oh hell, you should post them... if we can't laugh at ourselves, well then who can we laugh at?
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline Raevon

• Plebe
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 08:51:29 PM »
Here is a funny one:  http://youtube.com/watch?v=CU0q-A_zQdU

Also, just go to YouTube.com and click on Dragon Con and you will also see bloopers!!  It looks like it was a great time and I wish I had gone..
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 09:06:58 PM by Raevon »

Offline Sterling

• Trooper
  • An eye fer an eye
    • Crewe of the Archangel
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 12:59:26 PM »
Back to the language at least for GAoP and the English (since they along with Welsh and Scottish by far top the list of pirates from the time frame), just read up on such as the Verneys' letters, Defoe and Johnson's history... you'll easily get a taste for it from them.  Can't say I've come across an arrrrgh yet amongst them... so much for Hollyweird....
Sterling

Offline Raevon

• Plebe
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 10:50:58 PM »
Back to the language at least for GAoP and the English (since they along with Welsh and Scottish by far top the list of pirates from the time frame), just read up on such as the Verneys' letters, Defoe and Johnson's history... you'll easily get a taste for it from them.  Can't say I've come across an arrrrgh yet amongst them... so much for Hollyweird....

That is very true, Sterling.  In all of my readings and such I have not come across the imfamous "arrrrrsh".   Most pirates of the Carribean were from the British Isles with a splash of French, Spainish, and Dutch so they would have they dialect from their country.

But you are right as to say that Verney's letters and Dafoe and Johnson histories are better equipped to answer the question.  Some other items are the "General History of the Pyrates," Woodes Rogers, Exquemelin, and William Dampier. I also feel safe with  Marryat, as he, like Dafoe, was an experienced seaman writing for contemporaries.

Offline Sterling

• Trooper
  • An eye fer an eye
    • Crewe of the Archangel
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 11:45:14 PM »
Aye but if 'tis Federick Marryat, he and his contemporaries did not hail from the time of the GAoP.  So unfortunately regarding speech of the times, he would be perhaps ... suspect.
Sterling

Offline Raevon

• Plebe
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 11:45:10 AM »
Aye, tis true. I have also read books on 'Queen Anne's War' you will not only know the language and dialect of the time plus it also talks about The Treaty of Utrecht and what made some of them become pirates like Blackbeard.. 

But if you read any works by Dampier, Sieur Raveneau de Lussan, Lionel Wafer and I know of more but I can't think of them right now.  You will also understand more about the time.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 03:57:35 PM by Raevon »