This site is Gunny Approved

Lost Battalions (P)

Author Topic: How much physical activity in a weekend event?  (Read 7872 times)

Offline twilight_girl

• Boot
How much physical activity in a weekend event?
« on: July 22, 2008, 04:56:28 PM »
Hey all,

Just curious how much physical activity you guys usually do at an event over the course of a weekend?

Thanks,
--Twilight
XOXOXO

Offline Huntar

• Plebe
    • 9th Guards
Re: How much physical activity in a weekend event?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 10:29:04 AM »
depends on the event but many are very rough and exhausting. it can range from running a few miles with a full combat load to fighting in a place that isn't more than a few hundred yards long by a few hundred yards wide but the terrain is horrible and very demanding.

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 10:29:04 AM »
Lost Battalions (P)

Offline Sturmkatze

• -=r.Net Actual=-
  • Administrator
  • Reenactor
  • Oft muß Mann zum Teufel damit!
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 11:23:07 AM »
I agree. Some, like WWII can involve marching/walking/running all over God's creation (especially if the commanders are idiots and keep "running tot he sounds of the guns"). Some, like WWI can have periods of inactivity followed by sudden spurts of heavy activity.

Roman, well, you're wearing armor... with the new needlefelt combat, it can be very intense. Often though, it's more displays >:(

Those are the ones I do. However, I have watched other time periods such as Rev War, where the events I watched were not particularly strenuous looking. March out, shoot some, possibly die (being careful to gently lie down when dieing...).

I guess it just depends on the event. 0000
Marsh Wise
www.reenactor.net
My blog (boring!!): www.reppledepple.com
-1./J.R. 23 www.ir23.org
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself.

Offline Antonescu

• Reenactor
  • "Soldiers, cross the River Prut"
    • WWII Living History Association
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 03:27:20 PM »
Alot of physical activity when I go out unless doing a trench (WWI or Ostfront) scenerio. Line up, march to position, then basically go all over the site as ordered. Sometimes can be for 5 miles or up to 15 miles depending on the size of the location you are playing in. Of course there are the times where you are to hold a position and do not see a thing the entire day just like it happened then.
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it" George Santayana (1863-1952)
4th SS Polizei Division http://www.wwiilha.com/4thssmain.html
318th, 80th ID AEF http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/80th/

Offline Huntar

• Plebe
    • 9th Guards
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 09:16:23 AM »
the most exhausting event i've ever done would be the 140th gettysburg. 2 battles within 3 hours of each other (2 hour battles, one starting at 11 and the other at 1. thats a roughly a 1 hour wait) , wearing wools (everyone wanted to look good for the cameras there so wearing jackets was a must) and with the hurry up and wait which is so common in reenacting then the 100+ degree heat. i couldnt count the numbers of people being carried off the field due to heat exhaustion. it was horrible
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 09:20:03 AM by Huntar »

Offline battlebaby4

• Reenactor
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 07:05:14 PM »
I will take this on a different route. How fat are the reenactors or out of shape? I so remember folks so out of shape having heart attacks at events.We had folks die at CW events cause of theses problems. Then again when this many people get together their will be health problems. Even at a football stadium someone has a heart attack. It is sad indeed, working at a hospital I see alot of people who could have avoided the stay at our hotel.
 The 140 G-burg sounds nice but you all can't beat the 135th battle, All day fighting on SATURDAY. Culp' Hill battle was the BEST ever, bar none!!  We built all the breastworks chest level. We were attack while doing it. It was the closes you will ever come to a real CW battle. The 12th  Corps, Gen. Geary's Fighting White Stars, was alive for one day. Memories baby memories.
 As other's said  too depends on the event.

Pat
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 05:37:55 PM by battlebaby4 »
99th Infantry Division, 393rd Regiment, Easy Co. "Battlebabies"

reenactor.Net, THE Online, Worldwide Home of Living History

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 07:05:14 PM »
Lost Battalions (P)